Monday, January 12, 2009

Ups and Downs

Yesterday was a wonderful day. I woke up around noon and spent a quiet and productive day at home. Today; not so much.

The kids were with The Ex Saturday night and so I stayed up way too late watching movies with Josiah (ARGH, will that child just pick a sleeping pattern already!). This is why I was able to sleep until noon; a rare occurrence, I assure you. Within minutes of getting out of bed though, I had the music going, baby playing, tea steeping, and me? I was organising! One of my goals for this year (I refuse to call them resolutions) is to be more organised. Obviously this goal was for the entire year and so I cant just clean out the closets and call it a day. But I can take continual steps to living a more organised life and that's what yesterday was all about.

My living room was certainly tidy when I started but somehow I managed to spend the entire day cleaning just that one room. I like to have a tidy space when the kids are gone so I usually spend the few hours before they leave making sure that at least the main areas are neat and clean. I still have no idea how it turned into a whole day affair, but Im glad it did. I don't think I have ever felt so comfortable in my home as I did today when I got up. I moved furniture, organised my desk (OMG!), washed every surface, hung pictures, and on and on the list went. I was busy until a little after one in the morning, which makes for about 13 hours in one room. Holy Crap! I feel so comfortable in here now though, I want to spend all of my time in this one room. Now if only I can find the drive to continue such a deep cleaning of the rest of the house!

It would have been nice if my mood had continued on until today but um, no. I woke up today to a big ol' snowfall where I was happy to have a shovel inside the house because when I opened the door, there was a bit of a mountain. I decided when I first woke up not to bring Rayden to school today because our street hadn't been plowed and I would have had to spend about an hour digging out. That along with getting the four of them ready would have meant about a 10:30am start time which would have been fine if my car was actually reliable. I don't have snow tires on it and there is something wrong with the transmission. Basically its going to scrap at the end of the month but it will have to serve me until then. I use it when I really have to but this morning, there were just too many negatives so I called it a snow day and went to sleep for another 20 minutes.

Of course having Rayden home means NOISE (omigawd the noise!). He is a spirited child and has the ability to create havoc where ever he goes. The other kids and I have mostly quiet days while Rayden is at school, but if he is home things are very, very different. It's a little before noon and Ive already reached my limit of shushing the monsters.

Ive also figured out that this is why my writing has been so crappy lately. I cant even string a few coherent words together with the noise that goes on around here when all the kids are home. But here I sit, trying again to write with a fussy Josiah in my arms and constant yells from the older boys' bedroom. Oh and Barney, gotta love those Barney songs.

OK Im going to give up for today, I've got another half of the driveway to go and shovel anyway. So to recap: Yesterday, so great! Yay; Today, Shitty

3 comments:

Mommy Daisy said...

Snow days do have their downfalls. At least the schools here will close when it's bad. And I don't have a kid in school yet, so that helps.

But way to go with the cleaning yesterday! I bet it does feel good to have that much done. My house needs a good cleaning too. Especially since I've been sick. The dishes are piling up, the floors need vacuumed, and laundry is piling up too. Oh well, guess it will get done once I'm feeling better. I'm just not going to deal with it for now.

Kristi said...

I have the same problem with cleaning. I can get one room perfect, but then lose all motivation for anything else!!

Astarte said...

On days like that, I think of that line in the Grinch where he's upset about the Whos' noise Noise NOISE NOISE!!!! You know, though, if they just leave me the hell alone, I'm mostly OK with it.

I love being organized. I love especially when the house is clean and smells of my cucumber method cleaning spray and febreeze. Ahhh.