Monday, February 2, 2009

Blogging

I've noticed that my posts for the last few months have been quite different than they were when I first started to write here, last summer. Is that normal?

I enjoyed writing about the kids and what they were doing or what was going on in our lives, and I viewed this blog as a place to document all of that.

Taking a little look back though, most of this garbage that I've been writing isn't the kind of things that I'd really want to document. I mean, there are the posts about Josiah's eating and I'd like to keep them, but most of the rest of it is garbage.

I realise that sometimes Im going to be inclined to write about nonsense or amusing things that appeal to those of you who read this (and give me a laugh, Im sure) because otherwise this place would be insanely boring. Even I know that! But is there a trick that any of you might use that helps you to stay focused in regards to what you write, but also keeps you writing? If I just wrote about the particular parenting issues that I face, then I could go weeks without writing anything.

So please, impart your wisdom! Im all ears...

4 comments:

W said...

Focus? What the heck is that?

I've been blogging for a few years now, and still have yet to come up with a focus. It took me a while to find my voice and feel comfortable that I was portraying the person that I am every day, but focus? Nah. I just write what I feel like writing. Sometimes it is about my life, sometimes it's news, sometimes it's the world, sometimes it's nothing at all.

Just like life. And in the end it's all me, just as it should be. ;)

Astarte said...

I think you should write what you feel. I mean, this is about you and your journey. Reading back over your posts, you've changed a lot, and in a really good, sane way that you should be proud of. Your story *is* your kids' story, and the story of your family, and seeing how things change will be fun in a few years.

Kristi said...

Direction? Focus? Not from me! I just write whatever pops into my head that day. Sometimes I think it's interesting and others will want to read it too, but most of the time it's just rambling! For me blogging is a way to be my truest self. Good, bad, and rambling!!!

Mommy Daisy said...

I think sometimes we find the rhythm of our blogs will change. I started my blog to have a private place to "meet" other mothers and socialize and also to have a bit of a venting place. That's why I've kept it relatively secret from my friends and family. But my posts vary so much from time to time. And a lot has changed over 2 years. It just does. Go with what is comfortable for you. Isn't that what blogging is all about?