Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A fresh start

Well Im back and I've got a lot to say!

Actually, I don't. There have been a lot of things that I've wanted to blog about over the past couple of months, but Im not going to go into all of them now or I would be here for days.

So Im starting Fresh.

It's a new year with lots of new things happening and that's what I'll focus on, instead of what I've missed.

So first things first, I start work again full time on Monday. I couldn't be more excited! The research project that I've been working part time with for the last three years is hiring me on to help out with some really exciting things. I haven't gone over all of the details with the lead researcher for our site yet, but I know Ill definitely be assisting in arranging a conference that will be happening here in April. I also will be speaking at that conference and possibly another one in Toronto in the summer. There are academic papers being written that I will have a hand in and lots of working with the data that we've been forever collecting. This is so what I want to be doing right now in my life. The only downside is that it's only guaranteed for one semester and then I'll either go back to part time, helping where I can or continue full time until September.

Jason started a new job yesterday. He was laid off the week before Christmas with one week's notice but on his last day, went by another shop and got himself another job. It is the same rate of pay, same hours and in the same area. Instead of installing cabinets though, he's cutting counter top instead. He seemed pretty happy about it yesterday but I think the work is a little more tiring for him. We'll see how it goes. But what a blessing to not even have to go one day being unemployed and yet still have two weeks off for the holidays!

Rayden surprises me everyday with his maturity and confidence. I was raised in a family that believed in support and encouragement and I've tried to give my children the same. We were always taught that we could do anything we wanted, that the only thing standing in our way was ourselves. From the person that Rayden is becoming, I can already see that outlook shining through.

A few years ago he would talk a lot about what sports the other boys played as extra curriculars and what toys they would bring to school. Whatever the fab was, Rayden wanted to be a part of it. And so is normal for children. This year though, he instead talks about his love for guitar and rock climbing, two things that I don't think anyone else in his class takes part in. He knew he had an interest in those things and I was happy to provide the opportunity for him to explore them. He also decided that because of his love of legos, he would be bringing his completed models into school instead of whatever fad toy the other kids were bringing. This morning, on the drive to school, he told me that the other boys are starting to bring in legos as well and that it's becoming a popular toy again in his class. How neat is that? I love that he can stay true to who he is, for now anyway. Who knows what he'll be link when the dreaded teen years take over!

Chris Noah started kindergarten this year and after a little rocky start, he seems to be doing well. He is a math whiz like his brother but still cant recognize letters, in french or English. We're working on that with him.

I've decided to stop using the pseudonyms for the kids, so:

Rayden=Micah
Chris=Noah
Michael=James
Josiah=Owen

So much simpler!

And last, but definitely not least, I've started a new blog! A Girl and her Blog will continue to be about my family and the things I want to record and document. The new blog Decidedly Domestic will be where I talk about my interests in all things domestic. I'll talk about organization, cleaning, do-it-yourself, decorating, gardening, cooking, and the list goes on. I hope you all join me in my newest adventure, and join in the fun.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Yeah! You're back! I will follow both blogs :) Also, great news all around for the new year.